Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Crazy, Creepy Student

Once upon a time there was a first year professor teaching a Master's class in literacy. One student, sat preaching about God, his correctness, and children's stupidity. During the course, the creepy student, wreaking of marijuana, wearing sunglasses, earned a D. Still believing he deserved an A, he pestered and harassed the professor though emails and threats. Are they empty? Does it make the professor feel better that the police officer (who has known him since he was a kid) says he possibly has a drug abuse problem, or is not taking his prescription meds? NO!

Then there is a student like Catherine, who I know struggled to work through her differences in teaching style and beliefs with me. Who today, after 3 classes, 3 semesters in my courses, said, "Thanks, Dr. Wilson. I leaned a lot. You have done an amazing job." Or there is Ruth, who, clutching her exam, came to me and said, "You know, Dr. Wilson, you have done al of these things I wrote here for a quality teacher...like you modeled, and promoted, and engaged and performed... I just didn't notice because you were modeling them, sort of indirectly...we had to SEE them!"

1 comment:

emster said...

That's a good looking professor dog & nice collar on cita!