Sunday, May 3, 2009

Woofstock 2009: The Weekend of The Schnoo



I headed to Austin on Friday to congratulate a dear friend, Dr. Beth, who defended her dissertation victoriously and had drinks at Cafe Serranos on Symphony Square. I have known Beth since the dawn of my graduate school years. We have written together, worked together, and befriended together. She is an amazing person and I am so proud of her. Graduation with my PhD was the absolute proudest times of my life. I was glazed with a clear veneer of happy.

Saturday was Woofstock at Waterloo Park in Austin. Such a fun idea to have a carnival of sorts for doggies. Zoey loved it. She smelled everything, said hi to everyone, and ate every morsel she could find including, a doggie cupcake, several milk bones, sundry yummies, banana snow cone and even 2 doses of Heartguard. Schnungry Schnoo.

I spent the evening working with Diane on a paper that probably will never get done. But, I guess I deserve props for attempting once again to get started. We had dinner at Sushi Nichi and because it had been such a long time since I had sushi-ed, I over ordered and Diane had a lunch the next day. I love it so much. After, Diane and I went to Anthropologie to get a dress for her niece's birthday. You know, sometimes I feel sad that my whole family is semi estranged from each other. No one gives gifts or even acknowledgments much for any sort of extended family. My aunt sent me a card when I was 18 saying she would no longer be sending a birthday present. I was too old. Sad huh? Then seeing the fun time Diane had picking out a wonderful gift for her niece made me feel dissed somehow. Family is supposed to be tight. My relationship with my little brother and grandparents is tight, but with everyone else? not so sure if they even like me.

Sunday was the Dog Run. Aunt Wretta took Zoey to her first dog friendly race. It was a 5K run benefiting doggie shelters. So, Zoey was up at 6 and ready to go. Loretta tried to wait till the last minute to announce, "Zoey, wanna go on a run, run?" but ultimately it was too late because once Loretta was merely holding the shoes, she knew it was time and kept biting, nipping, and growling at Aunt Wretta to get her to hurry up! I met up with them on mile one to take some pictures as they ran. So cute. Literally Zoey looked thrilled, smiles and no time for real pictures. She needed to keep going! She ran the whole three miles with no problems. I swear she was a Kenyan long distance runner in a past life.

After breakfast at Austin Java (schnausages for Zoey, pancakes for me, and migas for Loretta) I headed home to San Antonio to create the final exam for the content area class.

No comments: