Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Interview by a former 4th grade student, now a SENIOR

Hi Miss Wilson, I wanted to give you a copy of the typed version of the interview you gave over the phone a week or so ago. Thanks for helping. You were a wonderful, fun, and happy teacher. Many of us still, after all these years, talk about 4th grade in Miss Wilson's class. Remember the boat in the middle of the classroom and you kept sticking those dots on us to show the mosquito bites? I do. Congrats on the new job.
Kelsey


Which five words best describe you?
Bawdy, Tenderhearted, Thoughtful, Funny, Loyal


What was your first job and what path have you taken since then?

My first job was babysitting. I was about 12 when I began sitting for an amazing couple who lived down the street. I remember how much I loved it: being out of my house and “in charge.” I got to make sure the babies were safe but that they had a good time. I was to show them what I knew and in turn, I learned about all sorts of things like breast milk and formula, bedtime routines, bath time, hair washes, braiding, and the joy of children. I learned they love you completely without abandon and you in turn, love them back. I found heaven in their sleeping bodies, limp in my arms, against my chest. I knew I didn’t want another job if it meant no children. From then on I worked as a nanny (8am-6pm, 5 days a week) and as both a paper person and childcare aide at Faith Home (a place for children with HIV and AIDS). I have never had a job outside of working with children. I then was a 7th and 8th grade developmental reading teacher in Austin, then a 4th grade teacher in DeSoto. Leaving for Austin, I took at job as a supervisor of student teachers with UT and did that for the next 6 years as well as taught classes out in schools for both preservice teachers and elementary aged kids. I then went back and taught 4th grade for a year, collected data for a dissertation, and graduated with my PhD in KIDS/teaching which allowed me my current job, assistant professor of literacy studies at Texas A&M-San Antonio.

What’s your proudest achievement?

Graduating with my PhD. Those days before and after were simply divine.

What’s been your best decision?

To keep moving forward. To not be afraid.

Who inspires you?

People with a cause inspire me. When they are passionate about what they are doing, the drive and the ambition cannot help but pass on. We need more people to be passionate about something. Spiritually, my dogs inspire me. They just seem to forgive and be joyful again. Plus, they think I am a rock star. Traveling inspires me. It opens me, my mind, my heart, my thoughts, my will. It provides a venue away from one’s own that forces one to be and utilize differently.

What’s the best lesson you’ve learned?
Everyone feels that they are not good enough & that we each choose the paths our lives take.

Which person, living or dead, would you most like to meet?
Bette Midler

What dream do you still want to fulfill?
I want t write a book, a wonderful book.

What are 3 goals you stand to achieve this year?
Making a compost bin, graduating my first literacy and language graduate student, and writing a dissertation article.
What are you reading? The Most of P.G. Wodehouse by P.G. Wodehouse and She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb plus serious things like student’s papers and People Magazine.


What would you say is the most disappointing thing you have learned about life? That there are no "take backs."


What would you say is the best part of being a teacher?Students like you. You make the difference in my life too. You all change me, change my soul, my thoughts and my life.

No comments: