Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Austin for a day...


I went to Austin yesterday for a UT student's proposal defense. She wants to do a study similar to the one I did in 2003 only with Korean preservice teachers and Korean kiddoes. It is a good thing I am finally getting something from that wonderful data published. It is coming out soon in the journal Teacher and Teacher Education. Now, if I would just work on my dissertation article!

After the proposal defense, Diane and I worked on the revisions for the bookclub paper a solid 2 hours and then headed to dinner. I was reluctant to go to the place she wanted to go to because a) She thought it was expensive, and b) Expensive means little portions and snobby people. But, I was wrong. It is housed in a former haughty restaurant's old haunt (Remember Zoot?) and is just off Lake Austin Blvd. Because Zoot was so expensive (I'd never been), I figured Fabi and Rosi would be as well. I was wrong. It is definitely on my new favorite restaurant list. The inside of the restaurant is black and white and gray, very European feeling with old furniture recovered in black and white stripes and new white leather benches, mirrored old cabinets and antique mirrors. I just loved it. The food not only tasted amazing (I had the Vegetarian Shepard's Pie and Diane the most amazing porkchop and mushrooms), but was filling. Wine was fantastic (I had the rose, Diane a chardonnay). We were there talking and eating for a good 2 hours. It was dark by the time I got to Loretta's. Of course, the dogs were fed and walked. She is the best babysitter. You drop off your kids and everything they need is provided on time and free of charge. I wish my aunt was even half as good! Mine doesnt even send a card for my birthday! Loretta and I were up talking and watching TV until 1am at which time I had been drifting in and out of consciousness, but insisting to Loretta, "No, Im not sleeping." I must admit, I was and I knew I was. This morning Loretta was up at 6 getting ready for a conference she was helping host and thus, I as up. So, I picked up, got ready and convinced Diane to meet me at Sweetish Hill for schnecken and coffee. She did and after a bit, the girls and I headed back to San Antonio to work on a professional development co-teaching piece which we (Jackie and I) want to finish this summer. The summer writing list is nuts.
1. Finish Bookclub piece
2. Dissertation piece
3. Coteaching as Professional Development piece (Jackie is first author)
4. Blog piece (Shelley is first author)
All of that in addition to teaching 4 classes. Woosh!

No comments: