Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Summer Break Realization


Okay, so in the last year, which for us teachers begins in August, I have taught 12 classes. 12! I have taught foundations of reading, MA reading foundations, content area literacy classes, a emergent literacy class for MA, an assessment and remediation class, a research methods class for MA students and an early childhood curriculum class. I am dead tired. The part of this job that is my favorite (teaching) feels not so fun! And now that the second summer session is ending (Thursday is the final exam), I realized that I have one week. One week! In that week I have to get my brother taken care of at his apartment in Houston, hire a nurse for my grandparents (include in that job cleaning out a room to rent and interviewing), and make syllabi and readings for 4 more classes. Oh yes, and post and grade the rest of the summer session stuff. Then, on the 18th, I begin it all again. Shit balls.

I did a fun thing this last Monday. I took Augustina, a child I taught in the 4th grade a few years back, to Fiesta Texas Six Flags. She is a lovely kiddo who came from Africa the year I taught her. As such, she had never been to an amusement park. The sounds, the expansive nature, the games were experiences that made her eyes swell. She twirled (as I watched) and we rode roller coasters till she begged to quit. I must say that I have always loved coasters, but perhaps I am getting old as I hurt my neck on the Tony Hawk coaster.

So, how do I spend the next couple of hours? Do I work on the article I am writing with Jackie? or the one with Diane? Do I start the syllabi? Or do I, go watch Flipping Out, and laugh at the craziness of someone else? Where does everyone get the energy?

Okay, I'm going to work on Jackie's article for one hour and then one syllabus for one hour. Then the new episode of Flipping Out.

No comments: