Sunday, January 24, 2010

Things I'm Good At


I was reading the New York Times last weekend when an article got me thinking about the difference between /good/ and /great/. The author was proposing that we often think the things that we are good at are actually the things that we are great at. I sat in my currently positive reflectionary state and attempted to make a list of things that I am good at. I realized something. The author is right! The things I wrote down were things that most likely, I am great at (better than most, the top 25% of the population). I should be good at more things than I am great, but I didn't even think about things that I would just be good at. For example, the first thing on my list was "working with children." Now, I am not just good at that, I am great. I love them, I can teach them, and they have a strange, yet lovely attraction to being with me. I am better than good. So, what follows is my list, a list of the things that I should be proud about doing well:

1. Working with children
2. Playing with dogs
3. Taking pictures
4. Buying gifts that are meaningful for others
5. Reading
6. Figuring out how long something will take
7. Making students think differently about school
8. Decorating without money
9. Being generous

Interestingly, I had a huge list of things I don't do well! Boy, this be positive, affirming way of being is hard!

No comments: