Thursday, June 7, 2012

My Man

So, I have shied away from my blog since my grandma's death. Something about writing my thoughts made me cringe, as if the last time I sat blogging it was at her bedside and it seemed too much to think about. But, she isnt coming back in person and most of you who know me know that I would want her to zombie or to haunt me. My thoughts of her plague me enough. As her life ended and all of the wonderful stories she used to regale me with about living in Chicago, Houston, Missouri (pronounced Mousura for her), WWII, Gpa, the Richtones, her dogs, and her life in general, I came to understand something really important: her life was about her family. Now, I dont just mean blood family, but those in our lives that choose to be a part of it for whatever reason and weather the good, the bad, and the worst and hang in there. I decided I was going to be more conscious of mine, especially mine in San Antonio where I currently reside.

So, I decided to start dating again. Now, let me get this straight, I hate dating. I feel like each person sends their representative to the table and after months, one realizes this other person isnt who you thought he was. Im sure that goes both ways, I too am not what they thought. So, I decided I would go out and be myself, mouthy, know-it all, fun-loving, adventuresome, wholesome, loving, pensive self. And, I met a man named Wayne.

Wayne is a fun-loving man who loves to travel and even in the 7 months I have been dating him has been to Ireland albeit for 4 days! He is a warehouse manager for the Energy Company and while he makes no money he loves his job. It has tested my belief that "I just need someone who loves his work and goes to it everyday" line item. He loves his job but works hourly and the lack of funds does bother me. I think it isnt so much that he makes nothing, but that he makes nothing and is fine with it, that his goals dont go further than the warehouse cause he likes it there. So, I have been trying to manage my thoughts about it. He is right when he says he has had higher paid work that he hated and would rather be paid squat to do something he likes. I cant tell though if it is truly that he loves it or if he thinks he cant find something else. Anyway, he loves to eat out (my personal favorite) and loves movies. In fact, he is a move know-it-all. So, we have seen some good ones this summer as I am off work. I do like going to movies but hardly have in my life. I know nothing about pop culture and movies. So, I am learning some here and there. He seems to genuinely care about me though, yet doesnt suffocate me, nor make me feel bad when I have to work. Much discussion has occurred concerning the amount of work I do, most of it from his end assuring me it is okay. I still feel like it isnt. Thus, I have been making a conscious effort to balance with him and work some better. This last month as summer came on I saw him 18/31 days so that is good. The biggest issue for me is that when we are together we talk so well and time leaves us. Soon, a dinner that was supposed to be an hour or hour.5 is 4 hours. He loves my dogs and even kept the crazy Zoey over night last week while I went to Austin to have dinner with Diane and shop for shoes with Loretta. He took her to Starbucks and to McDonalds and bought her her own chicken sandwich. The way to a schoodle's heart is through her stomach...ok, whose kidding, my heart too. He cooks (and actually, I have yet to cook for him cause he actually likes to cook!). He is good man I think and I feel lucky to know him.

No comments: