Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Oh, internet, where art thou?

So, while my writing about the trip is coming along, the ability to post said writing is sorely lacking! So, I am going to post now that jet lag is subsiding and the internet (back here in Texas! lol) is dependable. I am so psyched to share the happenings from the trip! Last time I wrote we were leaving Monrovia for Kokoyah. Loaded with Kathy and I, Enoch, Daniel (the driver), and two giant boxes of books, donated by Massaquoi and by a teacher friend of mine here in San Antonio. I want to give a wonderful thank you to Pastor Luo of Massaquoi for his generosity in this venture. His tiny, cane and tarp school and library donated copies of textbooks in 1st -4th grades because "when you give to another, God's wealth shines down to all involved." So, we (the books and all) headed down the bumps and single board bridges to the school. The first day there is Sunday so we went to church with Sarah and Pinky (Lydia's daughter) and had a great time listening to the choir sing in Pele, the preacher speak in Basa and a translator help us understand in English. It was awesome to listen to the dialects and to know when to say, "Amen!" Gorgeous. The children in the church were enamored with the Americans in african clothing (Kathy and I have been to Liberia before so we have dresses, of course). Many of those in the community make offerings to the church in food and thus, we left feeling loved and with dinner! Sarah rosted the corn and we ate (as always) well. Later, we sat around the thatched kitchen and talked to everyone who wandered by, which SO many did! We played with the children (okay, mostly I did), but I learned new rhymes (my reading professor self was in heaven!)...I hear it now, "Last night, the baby's born, 24 hours to learn it all..." It was great to enjoy the children and to hear them try to teach us the rhymes and games.

No comments: